We hold ourselves to three outcomes:
- Students will be promoted on time to the next grade level.
- Students will maintain or improve school attendance.
- Students will maintain or improve classroom behavior.
Beyond School Walls (BSW) connects mentors from a local business with career academy students focused on the same targeted industry. Partnerships like these enrich the education and preparation of the career academy students by providing meaningful and relevant workplace experiences. All Beyond School Walls visits are coordinated and managed by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Florida (BBBSNEFL). Students are transported to business sites to meet with their mentors and learn about the business and industry. Some of our Beyond School Walls programs also grant our students the opportunity to earn job certifications!
See Our Impact:
Of the 268 youth served within our Beyond School Walls Program:
- 99% attended school regularly
- 99% maintained or improved classroom behavior
- 97% promoted on time to the next grade level
- 100% graduated from high school
- 80% were accepted into college
- 19% were awarded some type of scholarship
What our mentors are saying about BSW:
“It is very important to me that Mayo is helping to keep kids in school and increase high school graduation rates for our area by participating in the program.” Michelle Leak, Administrator for Community Engagement, Mayo Clinic
“I personally find the experience very rewarding. I hope that sharing my life experiences will help guide my Little to lead a successful and fulfilling life.” David Edwards, Director, Human Resources, LSI
In December 2016, fourteen students from Baldwin Middle-Senior High School’s Digital Communications Magnet program were matched with the wonderful employees of Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) as part of our Beyond School Walls’ employee workplace mentoring program! We’re excited to start an impactful 3-year partnership between Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) and our students!
Thank you to all of our extraordinary Beyond School Walls Partners:
- BBVA Compass/Terry Parker
- Citi/Andrew Jackson
- Florida Blue/Andrew Jackson
- General Electric/Frank H. Petterson Academies of Technology
- Haskell/Robert E. Lee
- Jacksonville Transportation Authority/Baldwin Middle-Senior High School
- JAXPORT/First Coast
- Mayo Clinic/Mandarin
- Microsoft/Ed White
- Mayport Naval Station/First Coast
- Web.com/Atlantic Coast
For more information about our Beyond School Walls Program, please contact Harlan Stallings our Director of Volunteer Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org.